(Cross-posted excerpt from research I did for Raising for Effective Giving.)
Professional-level poker and tennis are both competitive endeavors that take years to train for. The size of the player pools are similar. And the top players in each make millions of… while the rest either lose money or make only a marginal income:
- Both poker and tennis have roughly 75-100 million recreational players worldwide.
- Both have around 20,000 semi-professional / college players.
- Both have on the order of 3,000 professional players.
- Median professionals earnings are around $50k-$150k/yr.
- In 2013, the top 10 ATP tennis players together earned $48 Million, and the top 10 GPI ranked poker players earned $47 Million.
- Both are covered on US and UK TV over 500 hr / year.
Read the full article here.